Summer lightning storms come with summer that can ruin your appliances and damage your electrical system. The following are a couple of summer electrical safety tips that can help you fully enjoy the season. If you are concerned about how the wiring of your home will hold up to the harsh weather ahead, give Bates Electrical a call.
Have a Whole-House Surge Protector Installed
Usually, lightning hits tall objects like trees, but occasionally it can hit houses, and cause severe damage to all of the plugged-in appliances and the home’s wiring. To protect your devices and wiring, you may want to have a surge protector installed. We recommend that you use a two-component device, with one plugged into an outlet close to expensive devices like computers and television and the other installed at your circuit breaker.
Install a Lightning Rod
One of the components of lightning-proof systems is lightning rods. There is a network of ground electrodes, bonding conductors, and air terminals designed to offer a low-impedance path down to the ground. The bolt is directed to the outside ground instead of via the internal wiring. A ground surge protector can also be used to disrupt the current while it is moving towards your home.
During Storms Unplug Your Electronics
As previously mentioned, if your house is struck by lighting, your electronics can be fried. That is why it is recommended by so many experts that your appliances and electronics be unplugged during strong storms. The data from your wireless devices should also be backed up on a regular basis. In a very severe storm, you might want to turn your circuit breaker off.
Do Not Touch Any Power Lines
Don’t ever touch a power line with any object, stick, or part of your body. If there is any power line on the ground, you should assume that it is dangerous and live, and immediately report this to your local area utility company. If you have children at home, be sure they understand that live power lines are very dangerous.
After A Flood Do Not Use Appliances
If your house is flooded, do not use any wet electrical appliances, since an appliance’s motor can be damaged by water and cause it to be an electrical or fire hazard. If any devices have become wet, the damage should be assessed by a qualified electrician to determine whether the appliance can be reconditioned safely.
Do Not Connect Any Portable Generators To Your Home’s Wiring
Portable electrical generators can be a good backup power source, but if they are installed incorrectly, they can become dangerous or even fatal. A generator should never be directly connected to your home’s wiring. The generator’s power can be back-fed along the power lines and anyone that comes in contact with them can be electrocuted, including the line workers who are performing repairs. Your generator should be installed by a licensed and qualified electrician to make sure all local electrical codes are met.